Tuesday, March 5, 2013

3 (sort of) new lipsticks

My favorite makeup to buy is lipstick. 

Which is a little funny because really all I want is very red lips. Oh, and for the lipstick to not dry my lips, and that it won't get on my teeth, or fade in an ugly way, and preferably would last for many hours without me having to redo it, and Matte, that's important, but the kind of matte that doesn't make the wrinkles in my lips show, and no feathering.

Well, I guess it's not such a big surprise that I keep buying lipstick, it's not so much that I want verity  but that I'm searching for that one lipstick that will do everything. Hoping to one day stumble upon it and then never buy another lipstick again (ya, Right)

e.l.f Mineral Lipstick in Cheerful Cherry 
Here are a couple of new purchases, or sort of new, the e.l.f lipstick is actually about a year old, however, at the time I didn't like it, so I shoved it in the bottom of a make up bag and forgot all about it, until a big make up cleaning a few weeks back.

And I'm so glad I did! I can't remember why I didn't like it. What's not to like in a dark berry red semi sheer and incredibly moisturizing lipstick?! maybe the name fooled me, you would expect "Cheerful Cherry" to be a light pinkish red. I guess this is more of the black cherry kind of cherries. 

What's really amazing about this lipstick is it's build-ability. I can get a light light almost natural looking coat or, add 3-4 layers for an almost opaque cover.

Also, as all e.l.f products, the price tag alone is enough to make anyone happy. at full price this is $5, but as e.l.f are known for their special sales, I got it at a 50% off mineral makeup for $2.5. 
If you are going to buy this online, do yourself a favor and look for bloggers' swatches, the colors on the site are apparently very inaccurate. 

Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede in Cruise Collection
For obvious reasons I assumed that "ultimate suede" means super matte. I mean, if patented leather is glossy, and regular leather is regular lipstick, then suede has to be matte, right?

Wrong! When you apply this, it has quite a bit of shimmer in it. It dries really different then it looks when it's wet, sort of more opaque and more matte but with some shimmer remaining. The color does look a bit lighter on my lips then in the tube, which is a shame cause before it dries it's a perfect coral.

Ultimate Suede does have a nice staying power, however, it seem to not so much fade, as flake off in a very unattractive manner.

I used it a couple of time, and not sure why. Maybe I'm trying to like it, or maybe it's because it's just so different. I would like to dry a darker shade of this, maybe Couture Or Trendsetter but at $10.5, I think it's too much of a bet for a product I already have a pretty bad opinion about. 

Maybelline ColorSenational Vivid in Vibrant Mandarin
I love Vivid just as much as I didn't like Suede. If Suede manage to take 2 types of lipstick, regular cream and long wearing,and combine them into the worse of both, Vivid takes to type of lipstick (moisturizing stain and regular cream) and bring out the best in both.

It's as moisturizing and easy to apply as a tinted balm but with lots of beautiful neonlike pigment. The coat is half sheer, it's not a matte or opaque lipstick, but the color is so vibrant it really pops. It's not very  long wearing but when it fades there's a nice vibrant stain left. It still looked good after 3 hours and 2 cups of coffee, but after lunch it faded completely.

This is a really wonderful product, and at $7.5 I would be happy to own every single shades in this series. 





No comments:

Post a Comment