Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bad, Better, Best

I'm not a big fan of the term "Holly Grail" when it comes to makeup, there is always something better out there, the skin and face and taste changes all the time, and so, what was great last month can just stop working after a while. I guess that so far, the biggest compliment I can give a product is buying something twice after emptying the first batch. I can only think of 2-3 products who won this honor.

Now, my hands and nails are really not my best feature. I work with paints and with my hands, and I spend lots of time with the dogs in a very muddy park. If I can get them to look sort of OK I'm happy, but my nails will never be long and perfect, no matter what I do.
What I have discovered is that the thing that makes them look passable esthetic is cuticle care. If the skin around my nails is hydrated, my hands look cleaner, tidier and my nails grow stronger.

I have mentioned 2 cuticle products before, and now, discovered a new one.

Bad
Not really bad, I actually liked it in the beginning. Julep's cuticle stick smells really good, give gentel hydration and feels nice. Why is it bad then? first of all, because it was the least efective of the 3 products I used, it might be great for someone who doesn't work with their hands or have naturally hydrated hands, but for me, it just didn't cut it. Second, the stick is really uncomfortable to use, it seem like a great idea, bu I found it messy and awkward. The third is that I finished the whole stick in one month, what might be OK, but since it's costs a whooping 22$ that's really not enough product to justify the price.

Better
Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream is one of those only products that I have bought more then once. It's great, inexpensive ($6-$8 or so), easy to use and works! I was pretty sure that this is as good as it gets. What don't I like about it? the smell is mildly chemical, and especially when it's cold, the cream hardens  and hard to use.

Best!
Enters new favorite (dare I say holly grail?!) Badger Cuticle Care which is just like Burt's Bees but better! it's cheaper ($6 for a larger tin, .75g vs. .6g) The first 2 ingredients on the list are shea butter and olive oil, while Burt's Bees goes for Almond oil and beeswax. What's the difference?! it's a lot softer and easier to apply.
And it smells better then either Julep's stick or Brut's butter. A citrusy fresh smell of geranium, lemon grass and olives.



Plus - the badger on the tin is adorable.

Probably the best $6 I've ever spend on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment