Thursday, February 7, 2013

2012 favorites - Nails edition



This was a big nail year for me. I stopped chewing my nails and started actually caring what they looked like. Since I do work with my hands, I don’t expect anything too fancy from then, my fingers are my main tool-of-trade, and nails need to be kept short and functional. However, I do try to at least keep them clean and colorful.
Julep polish in NatashaI can’t even remember how I discovered Julep to begin with, but I love everything about this company. The 4-free (polish does not contain ormaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP), the fact they are made in USA and that a part of the proceeding goes to charity. Also, the cool community that the makeup program created.
I signed up for a 3 month maven, and got 2 boxes already, as well as one of the New Year surprise box. I own 15 bottles of polish by them now and everything I’ve tried was pretty great. Natasha is my favorite, just cause it’s such a classic color.

How much: $14

Burt’s Bee lemon Butter Cuticle cream
One of the only products I actually finished this year. It did an OK job on cuticle, but did amazing on the nails. they became a lot stronger and healthier.  
How Much: $7 and totally worth it! 
Essie Chinchilly
Probably my most used polish this year. I bought it in May and used it through most of the summer. It’s a grayish purplish taupe, some sort of an undefined warm gray.  
How much: $8
China Glaze Elephant Walk
China Glaze company was a whole new discovery, their polishes are great and they can be extremely cheap. Their prices are very strange, everywhere seem to sell them for something different, ranging from $7-$8 (like Essie or OPI) and with every variation to less then $2. I don’t really get it. At any rate, I got mine, along with a whole huge order from 8ty8beauty for 3.25 each. This color is a beautiful cold gray. 
How Much: $3.25
Julep Matte Top Coat
Well, technically, I only got this on 2013. but I love it and so I’m counting it in. dry polish quickly, and to a beautiful matte finish. I’ve tried it over 2-3 polishes so far, julep and others and it worked perfectly.  

How much: $14, but I got it in a polish swap on facebook
Seche Vite Dry fast top coat
For a lot of people, this is the holy grail of top coats, and for a very good reason, its excellent. Dry fast, keep polish in great condition for 4-5 days for me (as opposed to 1-2 without) and easy to use.
How Much: $8
I think my next nail step is going to be getting an actual manicure. I realize there’s only so much I can do myself, and if I want my nails to look polished (no pun intended) I need some help from a pro, at least a few times a year.
I need to decide if I’m going to sign up for more maven month. On one hand, $20 is a lot to spend on nail polish each month, but on the other hand, it’s so much fun, I’de be sad to let it go.
Also, I would love to try stamping

No comments:

Post a Comment