Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cheap Thrills - You win Some, you lose some



The second thing I wanted to try in my $5 shopping spree was Nutra Nail UV-Free Nail Color. I’ve never heard about this before, and never tired Gel Manicure either, so I was eager to see what this was about.
A couple of disclaimers
I followed the instructions that came with the box, but later, checking their website, the instructions were different, so many there are ways of getting better results with this. Also, I’m not super good with nail polish at the best of times, I guess at the hand of someone’s more Professional this would work better.  
The package contains 3 tiny bottles, an Activator,Get color and brush cleaner. the process is a coat of activator followed by quick 2 coats of color, then clean the brush and do the other hand.
Opening the bottles (all 3 as instructed I noticed a really funky smell. It was familiar but it took me a couple of minutes and a strange dry-tacky feeling on my fingertips to realize it’s the smell of crazy glue. The feel on the fingers was also like crazy glue. I’m 95% sure the the activator is crazy glue.
Also, the brushes were made from pretty thick plastic hairs, not easy to use without messing up.
So I started with activator and 2 coats, either I applied the gel to thickly or not fast enough, but it just wouldn’t dry. after 10 minutes I went back to the instructions and tried another coat of activator and another coat of gel.



Switched to the second hand, same thing happened, and also, on 2 fingers I managed to glue the inside of the nail to the finger skin, and were only able to pray it loose with a nail file. 
The finish wasn’t very pretty but not ugly either, it looked like nail polish with a shiny top coat on, but I didn’t noticed any “Patent leather Shine” as the package said.
And now for the interesting part
Did it last for 2 weeks?
 
Well, no it didn’t. I did however had a few really demanding days with a lot of running, working, moving stuff around and so on, and there were quite a few moments that I know ordinary polish would chip, and this one didn’t. After 3 days however, it started to crack a bit - fine black lines appeared in the polish. after 4 days it started to chip, strangely enough, from the bottom of the nail, and on the 5th day, it started to chip in ernest. 


Taking it off
 
The scariest part, of what I heard, of gel manicure. So, I messed up, I thought I had Acetone at home, it turned out, I haven’t used it in years and it evaporated. But it was chipping and it had to come off. So a lot of time and mess with the brush cleaner, polish remover, nail files, craft knife and in some cases, teeth, and eventually it all come off.
The aftermath
 
I didn’t notice any damage to the nails after the gel went off, however, my cuticles, which I have worked hard over the past few weeks to make presentable, got dry and ugly. I put on a nice coat of blue regular polish and was happy to be back on familiar ground.
However, this was not the end, I guess not all the activator was removed from my left hand and the next day, my blue polish just pealed off in whole, it was creepy. I took the rest off and tried again, and so far, it seem to be OK only the Cuticle area doesn’t look good and somehow the edges of the polish, I guess where there’s some residue left did not paint evenly.
Overall, this was a lot of work, stick and frustration for 2 more days of keeping polish intact.
How much: $12 but I got it for $1 from the bargin bin
Will I buy again? I think probably it’s going to the trash, so no, I won’t buy again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment