Thursday, February 7, 2013

E.L.F - the good, the bad & the Ugly



I’ve mentioned before how much I love E.L.F, there are 2 main reasons. The first is no animal testing and no connection to some mother company that does animal testing (I should be more aware of that, and I’m not, but it’s nice o know that some of what I buy is Cruelty free).
The second is the prices. It’s all just so cheap and on top of that, they always have some crazy sale on something. It feels really awesome to wonder around a site, buying EVERYTHING you want and somehow it comes down to the price of a not-so-fancy product from Sephora. 
I’ve read in other blogs that some stuff from E.L.F was great and some not even worth the $1-$5 they costs. So far I’ve done 2 ordes from E.L.F, and got over 10 products in each, and as said the quality vary from “Totally Awesome!” to “What is this?”
Here are a couple of extreme examples:
The Good: E.L.F Mineral Eye Shadow
I got two of those when E.L.F had their 50% all mineral make up, which means I paid $1.5 each. those are some of the best loose shadow I’ve used. I have Bronzed, which is glittery and rich, and Partier, Which is a beautifully sultry grayish blue. Both shadow do have some fallout, but that happens with any loose shadow. The pigent is super vivid and over primer or cream shadow, they do last all day without creasing. 
The Bad: Studio Eyebrows Kit
This was bought in my first E.L.F order, when they had 50% the studio line. So I paid $1.5 for this very cute tiny kit of wax brow shadow light setting powder. The colors looked perfect in the pan, but sadly, do absolutely nothing… Don’t know if it’s lack of pigment, wax that’s too hard or whatever, but I tried with different brushes and nothing happened. 
The Ugly: Loquacious Liquid Lipstick
This is not a bad product, it’s very hydrating and easy to apply, I’m choosing to believe this was a mislabeled sample or just a strange mistake, because what was called Ruby Slippers and was swatched as a lovely bright red, turned out to be a strange brownish pink with a massive amount of golden shimmer. A color that for sure would make some 90 year old lady happy, but really isn’t “me”. I sometime wear it on top of lipstick to ad gloss when my lips are very dry, but I think I’m hanging on to it in some strange hope it’ll turned out to be the right color.

No comments:

Post a Comment